Friday, August 14, 2015

Aleric's Guide to Fine Dining in The Ember Rise

by Aleric Surral, Cuisine Critic of Ald


Food is of no small importance. Everything and everyone needs to eat, even orcs. It is the sustainer of life, the fuel of work and the champion of health. So, empowered with this invaluable knowledge, I have made my life’s goal and passion to explore the reaches of the Ember Rise to discover the best eateries with the most sumptuous menus and reveal them to you, it's fine inhabitants. I am Aleric Surral. I am Your Cuisine Companion.


This cycle, I have traveled to the west coast of the Rise in search of its delicacies of fresh seafood, plump and juicy fruits and rich tasting meats. If anywhere is known for its down-west traditional food it is The Western Sea Cliffs.


My first stop was the old fishing village of Rye’s Landing, or what is known today as Stormhold. With its tiered city built upon the white chalk cliffs, Stormhold boasts some of the best fishing in all of the settled lands. I ventured down the great stair while gazing into the vast ocean. Truly a sight to behold. Sailing vessels lazily splashed through the cerulean sea as the sun warmed their decks. Seagulls wafted on the warm sea air currents spying upon those bustling on the land and in the water. I could not wait for my first meal in this most exciting of cities. Some of the more notable eating sits included The Aft-House, Khylan’s Place, and Pelican’s Flight & Boathouse. But I wanted to sample a wide variety of the western jewel’s food establishments.


I decided to drop to the center tier. There, I found some of its lesser known dining establishments. One in particular seemed to ring my Captain’s bell.  I couldn’t resist the lure of its name. The Full Net.


From my vantage point on the grand stair I had a pelican’s eye view of Harbor Master Norcross Ramsden’s rotunda tower on the pier. I headed north toward the barrier wall. That is when I spied this rustic one-storied building nestled in a corner of two larger structures. Its stone walls were flecked with sea-salt which glistened in the afternoon sun. I appreciated the sign hanging out over the boardwalk; An old fishing net full of a plethora of sea life.


As I entered The Full Net I could not get enough of the aromas of brine and spices. Patrons of all ilk sat and chatted about their affairs with the sea mistress. I sat down and was pleasantly greeted by a handsome waiter who diligently informed me of the daily menu and offered his esteemed advice. There were an incredible amount of choices to be had. My decision making process was inundated by this restaurant’s complex menu. I was excited to try a dish called Splurge of Urchin, a succulent mixture of peeled urchin rubbed with red garlic and sauteed in a reduction of gooseberry and Newport White wine. It tops a bed of long-noodles nested with florets of broccolini and cauliflower. What a catch! However, I steered towards my culinary guide’s suggestion, King’s Crown. I am glad I did.


This dish is most exquisite. The meal is accompanied by a choice of ales and wines suitable to white fish-meat; I chose the Sunby Dry. A palate-cleansing wine with a hint of lemon and birch. As the platter was delicately placed before me I was struck by how colorful my meal was. Its level of sweet and spicy aroma was pleasing and not overpowering and the portion was almost overwhelming. But what impressed me most was the multi-tiered serving dish it was delivered upon, which resembled a king’s crown with an elaborate series of concentric plates rising out of the center.


King’s Crown is an appetizing meal consisting a variety of foods. On the lowest plate, guarded by the faux crown tines, was a mixture of roughly chopped potatoes baked light and crispy then gently covered with caramelized red onions. My mouth watered at the sight of cilantro speckling the tubers. The next tier hosted a fried selection of yellow squash flowers, green and red sweet peppers and spicy little chilis. Separating these were two small dipping cups of a tangy mint sauce and a creamy buttermilk sauce. The top ramekin boasted spears of poached king crab glazed with honey-butter and firm riblets of spikefish baked in a fennel rub. I felt I could have ended my culinary journey there. This dish was a masterpiece.


Upon completion of my most satisfying meal, I asked to speak with the chef. A well-built hobgoblin, dressed in the utilitarian sleeveless long coats of his profession, joined me at my table and shared a glass of wine. His inspiring performance will never let me forget this notable chef’s name. Chef “Kor” Korajkic Rhoe.


I hope you look forward to my journey to the small fishing village of Fiar-Kesk and its menu of clams, oysters and other shellfish as much as I do!


Until next time, may your all of your culinary senses be satisfied!


No comments:

Post a Comment